Saturday, May 9, 2009

Friday night, I trotted around a bit. Left work around 7pm for my friend Anne's show at ATM gallery in Chelsea. Lots of mirrors and masks and also Tauba Auerbach-esque pattern paintings in the back room. Jerry and Roberta were there, the rain finally let up, Anne looked beautiful, and since the gallery is so far west, everyone was outside drinking bottled budweiser on the street.

Some of Anne's work looks like this:


Chris and Todd were there too, two JD art handlers- Chris had fashioned a belt buckle out of the Paola
Pivi rhinestones, it was quite glamorous. Unfortunately, I had to leave very quickly.

Next, I went to the Jonathan Borofsky opening at Deitch. I was partially going to pick up a wall sign for artist who's been added to the show in Long Island City, and partially because I've been trying to go to every opening at the gallery just for sayings sake. Anyway, no one was there really by the time i got there, I said hi to all da ladies camped  out behind the desk, picked up the sign, and learned something new about myself- according to JD, I look like a sumo wrestler with my hair in a ball on top of my head. Go check out the show? I dunno, not my favorite, but here's the poster:




Then, I went home and made dinner with lots of produce from Zabar's that I got last week on a trip to the Upper West Side. I sauteed shitakes with olive oil and salt, warmed leftover brown rice in the pan and then added a little bit of parmesan, all served over a bed of mixed greens dressed with balsamic vinegar- a warm/cold salad. I also two glasses of a really nice Sauvignon Blanc.

Then I went to see Alexis Gideon at Death by Audio- Edan's show. The last time I saw him was at Asterisk with Dan Deacon when I was 20. Anyway, I missed the whole thing because I was being Euro at home, but I saw some really nice projection he did on the back wall. I'm trying to figure out how to get some youtube of it on here.

Then finally, I went to Daddy's. Is that really where people hang out? I guess so. I saw: Julia, girl with an intense unibrow from VB64 who's been sending me serious stalker emails for the past three weeks in reference to 100 dollars she's owed from Vanessa's studio; Ellen, girl who lived in Greg and Pete's dorm at Umass- she sort of follows me throughout my life; Rachel, woman who runs Secret Project Robot; Mike O'Neil, girl who I worked with at Ghost Robot (so many robots in new york); and The Beets!
What a tangled web we weave.

Pennsylvania tomorrow for further dental damnation.

No comments: